Dragons take narrow lead

Scottish Challenge Cup started with a bang as Glasgow Panthers and Dundee Dragons clashed yesterday.

The first leg was always going to be special with the historic nature of the game. However both clubs performances made it all the more special with end to end tries.

The game got off to a nervy start for both teams with Dundee only managing to get the upper hand with some tactical kicking by Ian McKeen.

It was Panthers Dylan King who scored the first try of the game with quick hands to send him over.

It wasn’t long before the Dragons forced their way over with Scotland’s player of the year Michael Mellon, and McKeen successful with his first conversion to put Dundee ahead.

McKeen then added six points with a try and conversion under the posts to extend their lead.

Panthers charged their way up field with Adam Mould grounding in the corner with Scotland captain Graeme Stewart adding the extras.

The Dragons scored two unanswered tries just before halftime via McKeen and Stephen Carling with McKeen slotting one of two conversion attempts.

After a great first half which seen both sides producing great attacking plays in a high scoring half sees a dominant Dundee take the lead into the second half.

Ian McKeen scored straight from kick off after a error from Panthers.

Dylan King scored his second try after Dundee were unable to deal with the Panthers attacking play. Conversion added by Stewart to take the game to 26-20 in the Dragons favour.

Dundee looked to be back in control of the tie with tries by Mellon and Carling with Stephen converting his own try.

Panthers clawed back points via a Mould try which was converted by Stewart to shorten Dundee’s lead to 4 points.

Ronnie Robb in first game since joining Dundee was quick to get them back to two tries clear.

Panthers then quickly turned the tables and took the lead for only the second time in the game, with back to back tries with King on the score sheet again with Stewart converting.

The two point lead didn’t last long with Carling firing the Dragons back ahead with McKeen adding the much needed conversion.

Dundee continued to control the game before full time at an enthralling first leg of the Scottish Challenge Cup with Dundee taking a slender lead into the second leg.

Both sides meet on Sunday 23rd August at Dundee International Sports Centre to decide who will lift the inaugural Scottish Challenge Cup.

Full Time
Glasgow Panthers 42-46 Dundee Dragons

Glasgow Panthers line up:
Adam mould, Graeme Stewart, Tam Pincock, Dylan King, David Davidson

Interchanges: Iain Barr, Rebecca Mulholland, Maria Quinn, Jack Davidson, Ryan Hughes, Kieron Devine, Jo Havlin

Dundee Dragons line up:
Ian McKeen, Michael Mellon, Stephen Carling, Jay Anderson, David Birtles

Interchanges: Ronnie Robbs, Derek Moncur, Kevin Rattray

Match Officials: Peter Lowis (SWRL), John Cairns  (SWRL)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s